Step 1: Articulate Focus
Faculty already know at an intuitive level when and whether their students are learning in their courses. Convert that implicit sense to intentional inquiry about student learning in your program.
Sample questions for program outcomes assessment
- What percentage of our graduating students meet (or exceed) our expectations, as expressed in the program learning outcomes statements?
- How well can students demonstrate particular skills or habits of mind at different points across the curriculum?
- What can we learn—from the data we have—about students’ achievement of course, program, and/or campus goals?
- What are our incoming students’ areas of strengths and weaknesses?
- How have recent curricular or pedagogical changes affected student performance in relation to the program learning outcomes?